My personal interest...

The first time I visited the Louvre in Paris, I thought that nine hours would be enough, and still, I found myself frantically rushing about trying to fit one more thing of beauty in before the doors closed. I remember the moment I turned the corner and saw Psyche being revived by Cupid's kiss.  




Louvre, psche, cupid, marble state, greek, roman, art, culture
Cupid revives Psyche with his Kiss
Photo credit: Paolo Gaolo. Shutterstock. 95023339. 

How could a marble statue convey such intimacy and warmth? How could love be represented through stone? My eyes felt starved for the magic of the paintings and sculptures contained within those walls.

I am blessed that this experience has repeated itself for me again and again. I have spent an eternity in the Rijksmuseum studying the veins on the hands of subjects, meticulously painted by Rembrandt. I have felt dumbstruck trying to understand the skill and patience of the artist who carved the Ivory Puzzle ball displayed at the National Palace Museum in Taiwan. 


Chinese Puzzle ball carved out of ivory
Photo credit: Cp9asngf, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons


I have gone on a journey across the years and seen most of Van Gogh's masterpieces, forever being altered by his genius.
  
There is a bittersweet quality to these museum visits. I am saddened for the people who have lost many of their own historical artefacts.  It is no secret that corrupt practices, or the entitled attitudes of the colonial superpowers, have funnelled many priceless artefacts out of the custodianship of poorer nations, into the museums of wealthy nations.  And whilst some countries have chosen to face their colonial past, others are still on the wire

I love the history of these institutions, the stories good, bad or sad. I admire the genuine desire of curators to preserve the art and history of humanity within universal art institutions, juxtaposed against a growing cry for reparations. The preservers of our art and history may argue that many artefacts would be irretrievably lost without their involvement

To have visited so many museums within my lifetime is a blessing and a privilege. I want to share the value of these experiences with an audience that also loves art and history. I also want to write about the institutions within which our universal history is preserved.  In this way, it is my hope to constructively add to an important conversation and sharing of knowledge. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about me - FoggsMuseumTour

Dirty money $$$

Visiting the Queensland Cultural centre? Here's where to eat: